Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

This soup is so good and creamy. Chicken Noodle soup with a twist. I use to eat this at my friend's house during high school and finally about 10 years later, I got the recipe. It is from one of the Lion House Cookbooks.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. chicken soup base, or 2 bouillon cubes
3 cups canned chicken stock
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each) cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup evaporated milk, or 1/2 cup whole milk
Roux
2 cups cooked diced chicken
2 1/2 ounces (about 4 cups) cooked noodles
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat chicken soup base and stock together. Add carrots, celery, and onion, and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add cream of chicken soup and milk. Thicken with roux as desired, then add cooked chicken and noodles. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts, or 10 one -cup servings.

*Roux is an equal of amount of melted butter and flour mixed together used to thicken soups, etc. I DO NOT USE ROUX in this recipe. I think the soup is thick enough without it.
*I also chop my vegetables with a chopper so they are very small. My kids tend to eat it better this way.

1 comment:

Scott / Lori said...

I love all sorts of chicken noodle soup, I will have to try this one just to mix it up around here!