Sunday, March 13, 2011

Marks Chocolate Covered Bacon

Prep time:__________________5 minutes
Cook time: _________________10 minutes
Culinary Sophistication Level:____Man

Hi, my name is Mark. I am married to one of the recipe society contributors. Today I decided that I would like to make a contribution to the society. I will bring chocolate covered bacon as my pot luck contribution to this wonderful society of recipe variety. The reason behind this desire was that while eating some bacon, I looked in the freezer and found a bag of milk chocolate Guittard chips. The best chocolate chips in the world.
My mind began to wander. I thought of the days last September, while I weaved in and out of the various human conditions at the State Fair, I stumbled upon a small shack selling assorted fried items. One of these items was a deep fried Snickers bar. I subsequently purchased and devoured the bar. I then noticed a small bearded, elfish type boy eating what appeared to be a slice of bacon slathered in chocolate. After paying a small fortune for the Snickers and not willing to pay the $478.00 for one slice of bacon, my trip to the fair felt incomplete and I also felt a slight melancholy that stayed with me until today.
Flash back to the present. Standing there in my kitchen, my wife in the other room watching the kids, a harmonous epiphony. Bacon, fair, chocolate, bearded elf boy, microwave. I heard something. Something seemed to be crying out. I looked down at the freshly cooked bacon. Was it trying to tell me something? I placed my ear close to the pan. Tiny beads of bacon grease jumped, gently kissing my ear with bacony goodness. Amidst the sizzle I heard,"Chocolate makesssss usssssss happy and healthy, sssssizzle sizzle." I took the bacons word for it. Who am I to argue with sizzling bacon? I finally felt like my life and destiny was within my grasp and under my control. I proceeded to assemble my masterpiece.

Ingredients: Bacon and Chocolate.

Lay 10 thick strips of bacon on your wifes favorite cookie sheet.
Place in oven for 10 minutes at 450* or until bacon is crisp and delicious. (careful to not over cook)
Remove bacon from pan and place on a paper towel. This will help in the degreasification process.

Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in microwave until chocolate is easily spreadable, stirring every 15 seconds. (careful to not overcook).

Place bacon strips on wax paper.

Slather chocolate on bacon, flip bacon, re-slather, place in fridge for 10 minutes.

Done. Eat bacon.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

i wish i had some in my mouth right now. sounds delicious. glad you contributed.

Scott / Lori said...

Although I do not know if this sounds yummy to me, I thorougly enjoyed reading the entire post about this interesting new food. From the disappointment at the fair, to the thought processes in your own kitchen, I was there with you. Did you really like it? Did Suzy? Thanks for mixing it up here on the ol' blog. We look forward to your next pop in.

John said...

wow. Impressive. I think this is my favorite post yet!!
Thanks for sharing Mark. We should have guest posters more often.

LL said...

Love all the recipe suggestions on here, but this is my favorite post. Made me laugh
I just might give this "recipe" a try. Thanks!

Lisa said...

while i did not enjoy the actual bacon...i did enjoy your post. and i do appreciate your taste in chocolate as well. thanks for sharing.

Karey said...

I loved this post. Funny, funny, funny! Also, I tasted the sample you supplied today and I thought it was actually good--along the same vein as chocolate covered potato chips. Thanks Mark. You're very clever.