Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cream of Broccoli Soup


This is so yummy and full of flavor! I got the recipe from a Relief Society activity. I love the variation with cream cheese since I had not had it this way before. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have! Mark is a big fan as well and not always into soup, but loves it when I make this!


Cream of Broccoli Soup

6 cans chicken broth
1 1/2 onions, chopped
3 cups chopped celery
3 small heads broccoli, chopped (use 3 heads about the size of a baseball, with only the small connecting stems, not the large main stem)

Simmer vegetables in chicken broth for about 20 minutes.

3, 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup butter

Make white sauce in large enough pan for entire soup. First melt butter and whisk in flour, cooking for at least 2 min. at a medium low heat. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Remove from heat before it gets too thick -- it should be thick, but not hard.

Now blend one package cream cheese in blender with some of the vegetable/broth mixture. Puree, then whisk into the white sauce. Repeat until all has been pureed and combined. Heat soup over low heat and ENJOY!

PS...I have made this recipe by cutting it to 1/3 recipe and there is still plenty for us for dinner with leftovers too! So the full recipe should generously serve 6-8

2 comments:

John said...

wow. this looks awesome. I've been searching for good broccoli soup recipes. Thanks!

Scott / Lori said...

Yum. I love soup like this and I don't have a recipe. Thanks. I will be making this!