Thursday, November 4, 2010

Homemade Frozen Ice Cream Custard


Thanks, Pioneer Woman for another great recipe!  Vanilla Bean Homemade Ice Cream. This was dense and rich and creamy. It ended up tasting to me more like frozen custard. I absolutely loved it. John prefers his more icey kind of homemade ice cream. I'll have to post that one sometime too.  Voila...


Ingredients:

2 tsp. vanilla extract (I used the potent kind from Mexico and it was SUPER for this)

3 cups Half-and-half

2 cups Sugar

9  Large Egg Yolks

3 cups Heavy Cream

Instructions:

Heat half-and-half and 2 cups sugar in a saucepan over low heat, adding vanilla “caviar” to the mixture. (You can also drop in the scraped vanilla bean, just to extract all the flavor. Make sure to discard the bean before moving to the next step.) Turn off heat when mixture is totally heated.
Beat egg yolks by hand or with an electric mixer until yolks are pale yellow and light and fluffy. Temper (I am so fascinated by the concept of tempering and I think there's probably a parable in there somewhere) the egg yolks by slowly drizzling 1 1/2 cups of hot half-and-half mixture, whisking constantly. After that, pour the egg yolk/half-and-half mixture into the pan containing the rest of the half-and-half mixture. Cook over low to medium-low heat (depending on how hot your stove gets) until quite thick, stirring constantly. Drain custard using a fine mesh strainer (I did not drain it but I did lick out the pot and it was unREAL), then pour into a bowl with the heavy cream. Stir to combine.
Chill mixture completely, then freeze in an ice cream maker until thick. My ice cream froze quite nicely in the ice cream maker after only about 30 minutes. Constantly keep adding ice and salt though. You will be able to actually hear the ice cream maker slow down, indicating the thickening. Place container in freezer to harden for at least eight hours.
Serve with something chocolate. I chose this. And another time we made this with it. Whoa. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

yum-o!

Scott / Lori said...

This looks and sounds amazing!!! I really want to try this. I think my family would love it. Thanks.

Nicole *Ü* said...

Oh that looks fabulous! You take the best food photos!!! :D Do you make your own hot fudge sauce too?