Sunday, January 24, 2010

Peggy's Runny Fudge



This stuff is awesome. My family grew up on this stuff but I didn't realize it could be used on ice cream and as a topping until I grew up. We always filled up a mug and and ate it by the spoonful. My kids now love this and it is a topping on ice cream often. I have even used it to drizzle on a chocolate chocolate chocolate bundt cake. A must have. (Posted by Jolie but she made it into cupcakes.)




Ingredients:


2 sticks of butter

5-6 T. cocoa

1 can evaporated milk

3 cups sugar

a little corn syrup

1 tsp. vanilla



Directions:


In large sauce pan or pot, melt the butter. Mix the cocoa into the butter then add the milk and sugar. (My mom added the corn syrup. I really don't know why and I only put in a tablespoon or two. Honestly I don't know what it does or if it makes a difference). Stir until boiling then continue boiling on a low temperature for about seven minutes. When it is done, add the vanilla.


Fill up a mug or dump it on your favorite dessert and enjoy.




*I store this in a mason jar in the fridge . We spoon out what we want when we want it and heat it in the microwave until it is HOT. Sometimes it gets sugary but when it's heated, the sugary texture melts away.





















13 comments:

Unknown said...

if only we liked ice cream around here...just kidding, of course. thanks for sharing!

Scott / Lori said...

I have never made homemade hot fudge. I think I better. Mmmmmm. Thanks.

Kristi said...

Ah, the stuff of legend.
Looks like I need to get some ice cream.

Jolie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jolie said...

I don't know if many people call runny fudge a "comfort food" but growing up it certainly was one! It seems like rainy days was one of the best times to make it! Still so often at Mom's house I'll find a saucepan with runny fudge ready to eat! Yum!

Simply Life said...

Oh that fudge looks so good!

Karey said...

This looks good. I've never tried just sitting and eating a cup of fudge, but why not?

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

made this Sunday to go over homemade ice cream. Wow! Loved it. The remaining is now in a mason jar in my fridge. I think ill call it Mrs. Richardsons hot fudge. ;)

Lisa said...

I made this Sunday to go over homemade ice cream. Wow! Loved it. The remaining is now in a mason jar in my fridge. I think ill call it 9ea. Richardsona got fudge. ;)

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

How runny is runny? Like water runny or is it a little thickish?

Lisa said...

It isn't runny like water. It thickens as it cools.