Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pudding on the Rice - rice pudding

My friend made this at a gathering over a year ago and my mind was not able to forget it. The recipe is from Pudding on the Rice, a rice pudding shop in scattered locations across the country. This is the best rice pudding I have ever had, perhaps because it taste a lot like ice cream but with a different texture. I halved the original recipe in this posting since it made SO much. You really should try it. I love it.

Basic Recipe:
4 cups milk
2 cups cooked medium grain rice
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

In Large Sauce Pan add: The first four ingredients.

In separate bowl crack 2 eggs and let sit at room temperature. Set aside.

Stir slowly with flat wooden spoon at medium heat for 45-60 minutes until the mixture has evenly thickened.

Take pan off heat. Take the room temperature eggs and whisk them thoroughly adding a table spoon of the hot pudding to tempure the eggs. When you have added equal amounts of pudding to the eggs, slowly incorporate the eggs back into the pudding. Return the pudding to medium heat and slowly stir as you bring the pudding back to a boil.

Then take off heat, put pudding in glass bowl cover with saran wrap and cool from 6-24 hours.

Whip the heavy whipping cream and 1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract.

Add the whipped cream to the cooled mixture until it is fully enveloped.

Keep pudding refrigerated, it lasts about 1 week.

Amaretto Rice Pudding: Omit the vanilla extract and instead add 1 tsp of almond extract

Chocolate Rice Pudding: In a microwave melt 1 cup of milk chocolate chips with 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream for 2 minute (checking on it every 30 seconds). Whisk until shiny. Add to the cooled pudding BEFORE adding the vanilla whipped cream.

Raspberry Rice Pudding - this is the kind in the picture: Add a bag of frozen raspberries and mix into the pudding fully incorporate. Then fold in the vanilla whipped cream.



Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. No wonder this is so yummy. The sugar and cream!! I just read about this Pudding on the Rice somewhere so I was excited to see you posted it and I can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing!

Emily Claire said...

You are my hero! They had a Pudding on the Rice in my college town, but one summer it closed and I was devastated! I'll have to try it when I'm less... trying to be skinny. :/

Scott / Lori said...

Rice pudding is one of my all time favorite things. I am going to make this for sure.....I just have to plan a time when I can stand at the stove for 45 minutes to an hour undisturbed. Thanks for an exciting new recipe!