Friday, February 10, 2012

Copy Cat Paradise Bakery Sugar Cookies

I am particular in how I like my sugar cookies, and these seemed so different from what I have had before, but I LOVED them. I don't even want to think about how many I consumed in a 48-hour period. My kids kept asking what happened to the rest of the sugar cookies. I had to hang my head in shame and tell them that they were gone, enough said. I got this recipe from pinterest. (This is the link to the original website.) I didn't shape mine into Valentines shapes because I was too impatient. I just squished them between my palms, but if you can wait the full 2-hour chilling period it recommends before rolling them, go for it. The frosting I used to ice these cookies looks hideous. I made them on Super Bowl Sunday, perhaps going for a grass look ( I don't know), but it wasn't until I had made the dough that I realized that I didn't have enough powder sugar to make the frosting. I improvised and did something else. It tasted fine, but go for the frosting in the recipe.

Cookie:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups vegetable shortening
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg, beaten
3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1) Preheat oven to 375°.
2) In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and shortening using an electric mixer.
3) Mix on slow speed 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
4) Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes.
5) Slowly add vanilla and beaten egg while mixing.
6) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, mixing on slow speed until just blended. Do not overmix.
7) If you are not shaping them with cookie cutters, scoop dough and form into a ball. Squish and flatten dough between your two palms (Does that remind anyone of Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Just checkin') and move onto step 8. If you want to cut into shapes, split the dough in half and form two disks. Refrigerate the dough disks for at least two hours. Roll and cut dough with cookie cutters.
8) Place directly on cookie sheet.
9) Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes. Cookies are done when small cracks appear and are pale golden. Ideally, the edges do not brown.

Magnolia Bakery Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't make these because I WILL eat them all. Yummy!!! GoKristi!!

Lisa said...

look at you. you must be feeling pretty good? those look both yummy and adorable!!!