Monday, October 3, 2011

Zucchini Casserole


This is a great recipe when you have extra zucchini or even when you have leftover rice. It is savory and a complete meal in one pan. Because I have a big family, I adjust the ingredients to my liking in order to have this casserole go even further (more rice, more zucchini, more sauce, etc.)

Ingredients:

1 can cream of mushroom
1 cup cooked rice
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
3 tbs. chopped onion
6 small zucchini (or so), sliced
salt & pepper

Directions:

Brown meat. Add onion and cook together until onion is tender. Add cream of mushroom. Add rice. Mix all of that completely and turn off heat.

Lay zucchini slices on bottom of greased casserole dish. I use a 9x13. Then pour above mixture over zucchini.

Prepare the following sauce in a saucepan over medium heat: 2 T butter, 1 c. milk, 2 T flour, salt & pepper to taste. Prepare to a roux. Finally add 1 c. grated cheese. Pour over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

John said...

yum.. Sounds really good!!! I have 2 large zucchini and 2 yellow squash. I'll have to try this!

Nicole *Ü* said...

This one sounds good too!! I love zucchini but get tired of making the same things with it all summer/fall!