Tuesday, September 6, 2011

zucchini brownies


So I have had horrible zucchini brownies (that tasted like dirt) and I have had excellent zucchini brownies. These were excellent. I think because I used pureed zucchini instead of the traditional shredded, this was more like a cake. It reminded me of Texas sheet cake. The recipe is adapted from one I found on allrecipes.com.


ZUCCHINI BROWNIES

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups pureed zucchini

FROSTING:
5 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 T. margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
2-4 T. milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking pan. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.
FROSTING: In a medium bowl, blend together the margarine, cocoa, powdered sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Solution number 2 to my zucchini surplus. Thank you!
I cannot wait to make these puppies.

Scott / Lori said...

Yum! Those look good.

Melissa said...

Can you use grated zucchini instead of the pureed zucchini?