Saturday, January 30, 2010

hash BROWNS

This is how my husband, Aaron made hash BROWNS. Before we got married, when it came to hashbrowns, I could take them or leave them... until I tasted Aaron's hash BROWNS. Once I tasted them the way he made them... I have loved them ever since. He had a special touch.
For some reason, Aaron pronounced hash BROWNS with more emphasis on the BROWNS part, when most people put more emphasis on the hash part. I always got a good giggle out of the way he said it. It was so cute. I loved it. So, that is why I write it hash BROWNS... it is a sweet memory of him.


Ingredients:

2 lbs shredded potatoes (two 16 oz packages of frozen shredded potatoes)
1 1/2 large onions chopped (more if you are an onion lover like me)
3/4 to 1 cup butter


Directions:

In a large skillet, melt 1/4 to 1/2 cup of butter (depending on how many onions you chop). Add chopped onions. Saute the onions in the butter until the onions begin to get tender. Add shredded potatoes. If it looks like a ton of potatoes, don't worry... they do shrink as they cook. As they cook through, use a spatula to turn them over. Also, as they cook through, add another 1/4 cup butter. A few minutes later, add the last 1/4 cup of butter. Once all of the butter is added, if they are not turning brown yet, leave them sitting longer before turning them over... for some reason they just taste better when they are well browned (even if you have to end up leaving them a little too long and have to scrape it off the bottom, this was a technique of Aaron's). I do not use salt and pepper much, but if you do... just salt and pepper to taste.
They taste great with scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon.

SO yummy. Enjoy!

makes about 8 servings

6 comments:

Lisa said...

i could go for those right this second since it's almost noon and i haven't had breakfast. thanks for sharing the recipe and the memory.

Rebecca Adams said...

YUM!!!! These hash BROWNS just made my mouth water! Breakfast foods are my all time FAVORITE foods!!! I could eat breakfast foods all day every day. :) I'll have to try these sometime!

John said...

Yummy. I love hashbrowns and no wonder these are good. Hello butter! I'll make them this way next time I make them....and think of Aaron. Thanks!!

Scott / Lori said...

Wow those look amazing. I have never been good at cooking hash browns, so I will try them this way next time. Thanks for the post!

Kristi said...

Yep, these were tasty, and that is coming from a non-potato lover.

Alisa said...

Oh wow,buttery hash browns! Thanks for sharing this recipe!I havent made it yet but I already know how wonderful this would taste!