Saturday, April 2, 2011

Maria's French Toast



This recipe comes from my sister-in-law Maria. She served it at a family gathering and I enjoyed it thoroughly since it was a little more involved than the french toast I have had in the past. I usually just had eggs, sometimes milk, and a little cinnamon in my batter. So for a little more than basic french toast, enjoy the following...

Maria's French Toast
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

cinnamon to taste
butter
1-2 dozen day-old rolls or buns (depending on size)

Combine all ingredients except butter and rolls. Cut rolls in half and dip each in batter, covering both sides. Cook in skillet on medium/medium-low heat. Remove from pan when cooked through. (I also like to smash my toast as it cooks with the back of the spatula to get rid of the sogginess that sometimes accompanies french toast:)) Coat pan with butter and place cooked french toast back in pan to cook in butter for 1 or 2 more minutes. This is an important step to add some extra flavor and texture! Serve with powdered sugar and syrup. Enjoy!


3 comments:

John said...

AWESOME!!! This was so good. I tried to get the recipe from her so I'm so glad it is on here and she was happy to share it.
This really is delicious. I think we will be having it for Sunday (conference morning) breakfast!!
Thanks for sharing Suzanne and Maria!

John said...

By the way...if you have ever had Kneaders french toast, it reminded me of that. I just need a cup of strawberries and whipped cream on the side. YUM. YUM. YUM.

Lisa said...

i didn't get a chance to taste this french toast but it looks and sounds wonderful. thanks for posting...and great picture!