Thursday, December 16, 2010

Winter Salad


First off, credit is due to Kristi for the salad and dressing but I really just threw in random ingredients based on what we had at Kristi's house and another Winter Salad that I first had when one of my YW leaders made it for some event. Any way this came together nicely, but really could be made with all kinds of combinations. When Kristi served us this it was great and had pecans and mandarin oranges. I am guessing the amounts here since I made this salad for 30+ people so adjust accordingly and to your own desire.

WINTER SALAD

1 head romaine lettuce
1 head green leaf lettuce

1 cup craisins
1 cup feta cheese
1 cup sugared almonds
2 diced fuji apples
salad dressing to taste

Kristi's Fabulous Dressing:
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp salt
2 T. dried onions (I used fresh because I had those and not dried)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup oil
1 T. poppy seeds
blend in the blender on low until it gets thick and creamy
To make sugared almonds, melt 1/2 cup sugar with sliced almonds on med-low heat. stir regularly so that the sugar doesn't burn. Remove from heat, let cool, and break apart if needed. Toss all ingredients together and add dressing just before serving. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Scott / Lori said...

Yum,yum,yum. To me there is nothing quite like a really good salad. This one should fit the bill. Thanks for a new salad recipe!

Anonymous said...

Is this the salad that was served at a family Christmas party?
It was so delicious. So glad to have another salad recipe. Yum.