Monday, August 23, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini

My sister in law made up this recipe and I love it. I haven't made it in a long time and I didn't have the cheese to put on top. Grow yourself a LARGE zucchini (or get one from a neighbor of buy one) and enjoy this great healthy (except for the cheese) meal.

1 LARGE zucchini
Tomatoes
1 jar prego or favorite sauce
1 can corn, drained
1 can chicken or cooked chicken breast
chili powder
onion powder
garlic
salt and pepper
mozzarella and cheddar cheese

In saucepan, mix sauce, can or corn, chicken, the middle of the zucchini that you scrape out, and spices. Let simmer for a while to blend flavors.
Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Dig out the seed center and chop it up. Lay each zucchini on a large piece of foil on a cookie cheet. Slice tomatoes and lay in the middle of zucchini. Broil for a few minutes. (sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't).
Put cheese on top of tomato layer then fill the zucchini with the sauce mixture. (Also, put a little of the sauce under the zucchini to soften while it bakes).
Wrap the zucchini up in the foil and bake at 350 for about an hour.
When it is done, the zucchini will be very soft (I like it mushy). Soft enough that the skin is really soft. Top with cheese and put it back in to melt.
Cut into slices and serve.
I have also fried bread cubes in butter and put this on top at the end. It just adds an extra yummy taste.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

hallelujah. thanks for posting this, tawnie! i love any and all zucchini recipes.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

I have been wanting zucchini so bad, and for the first time ever our garden did not grow zucchini. Does that say something about the pathetic nature of our garden - won't grow zucchini?
I will have to see if anyone is wanting to get rid of their giant, monster zucchinis. I have made this and love it. It taste like eggplant parmesan.

Karey said...

Don't feel bad, Kristi. Our garden grew swiss chard (enough for one meal) and THAT IS IT! No tomatoes, no zucchini. It stinks and I love zucchini, too. How pathetic is it to have to buy it at this time of year.

This looks good, Tawnie. Thanks.

Scott / Lori said...

Yum, I love zucchini in so many ways. This looks wonderful. I wish I had an extra large zucchini from my garden....I will have to get one from Leslie at the market and give this one a try. Thnaks.