Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Home Made Macaroni and Cheese


HELLO COMFORT FOOD!!!
Macaroni and Cheese is a favorite. Mmmm. A favorite memory is when I was little my mom stayed home from work one day and just her and I sat on the couch downstairs eating homemade macaroni and cheese and watching soaps.
I have been on the hunt for years for the best home made mac n cheese and so far, this is it. This recipe was submitted in our neighborhood cookbook by Shelly Salmon.
Because I double the recipe, I am posting it doubled. Doubled, it feeds 6 adults. It easily feeds my family of 7.

Ingredients:

3 c. elbow macaroni (or noodle of choice)
1 cube butter, melted
6 T. flour
4 c. milk
2 c. grated cheese
1 -2 tsp. salt (depending on how much you like salt. 1 tsp. is plenty for me but is not the 'double')
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions:

Add flour, salt and pepper to melted butter. Make this into a white sauce by slowly stirring in the 4 cups milk. Stir and cook until thick. Add cheese and pour over cooked macaroni in a 9x13 buttered dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 400* for 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Mmm, this sounds good. Growing up if we ever had mac and cheese we had it with sausage. Even at 9 in the morning this sounds good.

Leslie said...

mmm... i was there when this dish was made by tawnie... it was DELICIOUS. i LOVED it.

Scott / Lori said...

Yummy. I don't have a recipe for homemade mac and cheese. I will try this for sure!