Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sugar Rolls

I guess you could say the name says it all. This is a recipe straight from my husband's grandmother. She made rolls from scratch and then finished them off this way. We make these usually for Sunday dinner or any other special occasion. Instead of making my rolls from scratch, I usually use Rhodes frozen rolls and they work great. These will disappear right before your eyes. Enjoy! * A special thanks to Lisa for the picture she took of these at Thanksgiving.*

Directions:

Set out Rhodes Rolls on sprayed cookie sheet.
Cover with sprayed plastic wrap.
Let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Melt 1/4 cup butter in small bowl (I do this in the microwave).
In another bowl pour 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar.
Remove plastic wrap and gently pick up each roll, dip it upside down in the butter (about half way up the roll) and then gently dip in sugar, covering the butter with sugar.
Place back on cookie sheet, sugar side up, and let the rolls finish rising. Don't put plastic wrap back on after sugaring them.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Check the bottom of one to make sure they are finished.


HINT: For leftovers I do not recommend putting them in a plastic bag as the sugar turns sticky and wet. I put them in a paper bag or just cover them with a paper towel. They usually don't last more than the day anyway. Happy Baking!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

these were AMAZING. I can't believe you've been keeping this a secret all this time. I made them for my family and it was heaven. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

yumm-O!!! these were, in my opinion, the talk of thanksgiving. good job.

Karey said...

These are so good. My husband says they're evil because they're sure to set off diabetic shock if you're lucky enough to get all you want of these. They are definitely a crowdpleaser.